Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Great American Chocolate Poem

What a Scrumpdiddlyumptious Wednesday!  On this day in 1894, Milton S. Hershey founded the Hershey Chocolate Company, now the largest chocolate manufacturer in the United States. If you've ever found yourself dreaming of chocolate waterfalls, chocolate rivers, and Willie Wonka's famous chocolate factory, today is your day.  Our first two poems, from Chocolate Dreams by Arnold Adoff,  use repetition of the word chocolate and hyperbole, a figure of speech that stretches the truth or exaggerates, to make a point: the speaker really really REALLY likes chocolate:

Chocolate Dreams. Two. 

Chocolate Sun.
Chocolate Moon.
Chocolate Clouds.
Chocolate Raindrops.
Chocolate Sprinkles  On
                                   My
Chocolate Head.

Chocolate Hair.
Chocolate Face.
Chocolate Body.
Chocolate Bed.
Chocolate Squishing  In
                                   My
Chocolate Boots  As I
                                 Run
                          Through 
Chocolate Streets     And
                             Splash
                          Through
Chocolate Puddles  And
                              Wade
                            Across
Chocolate Streams. I
                                Must
                                Swim
                                Swift
Chocolate Rivers.  I
                              Must
                              Swim
                              Some
                Unsweetened
Chocolate Sea.        I
                    Dream A
Chocolate World      For 
                                  Me
Chocolate World      For
                                  Me.


Chocolate Dreams. Five.

Lock Yourself In The Kitchen
On a Raining Afternoon With
All The Ingredients For Making
Chocolate Chip Cookies.  First:
Open the Bag Of Chocolate 
                             Chips
And
Proceed To Eat
Every One Of Them.
                        Then
Mix And Bake The
Remaining
Ingredients  Per  Instructions.
After  They Cool
                                                                     You May Serve Chocolate Chipless
                                                                                                Chocolate Chip
                                                                                                                  Cookies.

Today's final poem, Sliver of Liver by Lois Simmie, uses hyperbole to convince us that the speaker really really REALLY doesn't like liver: 


Just a sliver of liver they want me to eat,
It's good for my blood, they all say;
They want me to eat just the tiniest sliver
Of yukky old slimy old slithery liver;
I'm say no thanks, not today.

No, I'll pass for tonight but tomorrow I might
Simply beg for a sliver of liver.
"Give me liver!" I'll cry.  "I'll have liver or die!
Oh, please cook me a sliver of liver!"
One piece might not do, I'll need two or a few,
I'll want tons of the wobbly stuff,
Of that quivery shivery livery pile
There may not be nearly enough.

 Just a sliver, you say?  No thanks, not today.
Tomorrow, I really can't say;
But today I would sooner eat slivers of glass,
Eat the tail of a skunk washed down with gas,
Eat slivers of sidewalks and slivers of swings,
Slivers and slivers of any old thing,
Than a sliver of slimy old quivery shivery
Livery liver today.

The LMC has several nonfiction books describing the chocolate-making process.  You'll also find plenty of chocolate-themed fiction: Chocolate Fever by Robert Kimmel Smith, The Chocolate Touch by Patrick Skene Catling, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl.  
Liver?  Not so much....


            


No comments:

Post a Comment