Thursday, April 28, 2011

A Great Day for Poetry

In 1996, the Academy of American Poets declared April National Poetry Month-- a thirty-day opportunity each year for schools, libraries, and Poetry Paraders everywhere to celebrate poetry and its place in our lives.  It's all about beautiful words, creative thought... and getting together to share poetry on the Great Poetry Reading Day! Today, Poetry on Parade selects two poems that are great for reading, great for sharing, and great for inviting us to look at the world in a different way: 

Doors 

Some doors
are always open     Some
doors hold themselves
shut
The open doors say
"Come on in" and
"I missed you"
and
"Have a sandwich"
The closed doors
just shake their heads
I know a door
that collects things
collects
leaves     scratches
chipped paint
parts of words
It is an old door
getting gray and crabby
The other day
it said "SLAM!"     and collected
my fingers 

-- Barbara Esbensen 

Lost Poems 

I wrote a bunch of poems,
stapled them together,
took them to a friend's house.

But they somehow slipped
through the floor boards
and disappeared.

I never got those poems back.
I tried to rewrite them
but they weren't the same.

One night two months later,
sleeping over my friend's house,
we heard restless sounds,

strange little noises
that my friend insisted
were nothing but squirrels or mice.

But I pictured my lost poems
scurrying on little feet
between the floors. 

-- Ralph Fletcher

Poetry on Parade also joins Lafayette School's celebration of Staff Appreciation Week with a poem about a class who is trying very hard to appreciate a new teacher: 

No Smirchling Allowed 

A brand new teacher came today
     from one of the other schools.
"Be serious," she ordered us,
     "and listen to my rules.

"There won't be any splurching,
     and you're not allowed to flitz.
Anybody caught klumpeting
     will put me in a snitz.

"No floozering at recess.
     Grufflinking's not permitted.
And anyone who splubs outside
     will not be readmitted.

"When you put your hand up,
     I don't want to hear a bloud.
And let's be clear that while
     I'm here, no sneeping is allowed."

I was truly baffled, but I didn't
     want to show it.
What if I was flitchering and
     didn't even know it?

We sat as still as statues.
     None of us made a peep.
All of us were terrified
     we'd accidentally sneep.

We didn't have a clue about
     the rules that she was using.
How can anyone be good
     when being good is so confusing? 

-- Loris Lesynski

Some of those rules are hard to follow-- and difficult to pronounce-- on Great Poetry Reading Day.  Good Luck, Poetry Paraders!

No comments:

Post a Comment