Monday, April 14, 2014

Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Hair Days

Did you ever have one of those days?  A day when everything seems to go wrong, when nothing works the way it should... when your hair is completely unmanageable?  Today, Poetry on Parade celebrates these less-than-perfect times with poetry about Bad Hair Days:


Bad Hair Day

I can’t do a thing with this hair-do
I've tried but it's simply no use.

I can't make it stay where I put it today

with styling gel, hair spray or mousse.


No bobby pin, brush or bandana,
can get my hair under control.
I've tried every comb, every clip in my home,
but still I resemble a troll.

I've tried using forks in frustration.
I've tried using pokers and picks.
I've tried using straps; I've tried headbands and caps.
I've even tried shoestrings and sticks.

Regardless of how I attack it,
with rolling pins, wrenches or rakes,
it's simply no use, I'm the Gorgon Medusa;
my hair is a bundle of snakes.

--Kenn Nesbitt

Let's take a look at The Bad Hair Day, written by Karma Wilson and performed by Rachel and Despina:


Bad Hair Day

I’m having a very bad hair day today
‘Cause some of my hairs began to turn gray
And purple and pink and chartreuse and red.
I think I’ll go buy a big hat for my head.

--Douglas Florian

While we're on the topic of Hairy Poems, check out this one, written by Shel Silverstein and performed by:


Here's a styling tip, Poetry Paraders: Next time you're having a Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Hair Day, put away the comb, the brush, the styling gel, and the mousse... and pick up a poem.  Things will look a little brighter!

No comments:

Post a Comment