Friday, March 11, 2011

Mayhem Poetry Friday: March Madness

During the long winter of 1891, James Naismith was a physical education instructor in Springfield, Massachusetts.  His students were bored, marching in circles around the gym and doing tedious calisthenics for hours on end.  Naismith needed to think of a better way to exercise indoors.  (Read James Naismith's Predicament on the sidebar of the blog for a poem-history of  what happened next)! Today, Poetry on Parade closes Mayhem Poetry Week with a celebration of the first public basketball game-- played on March 11, 1892. We're also  looking forward to the tip-off of the NCAA Division I Men's and Women's Basketball Tournaments: the brackets are announced this weekend, and then March Madness begins!  
Our Performance Poem of the Day, from Rimshots: Basketball Pix, Rolls, and Rhythms by Charles R. Smith, Jr., is a list poem for many voices.  Add a beatbox rhythm, and  we'll have a powerful performance that celebrates Mayhem Poetry and Basketball Day:

Excuses, Excuses 

"I didn't wear my right headband."
"I'm not playing well because my shoes hurt."
"My game is a little off because my shorts are too tight."
"My shoes are too old."
"I'm allergic to sweat."
"My shot isn't falling because my shirt keeps getting in the way."
"I can't dribble with my left hand because my watch gets in the way."
"I keep missing because this rim doesn't even have a net."
"I can't make a layup because I'm not wearing my right shoes."
"If I run too fast, I'll catch a cold."
"I can't guard him because he smells."
"My shot is off because of this hangnail."
"These shoelaces are too long."
"I can't concentrate because of all the noise."
"I can't run because my socks itch."
"The rim is too high."
"My balance is off because of my hair."
"I can't play because I'm allergic to concrete."
"There's something in my shoe."
"I can't make any shots because this net is all messed up." 

Earlier this week, we learned that a poetry slam is a competition where poets perform powerful original work and are judged by audience members.  When a basketball player  jumps in the air and powers the ball through the basket with one or both hand above the rim, it's called a slam dunk.  The shot clock is running down on Mayhem Poetry Week!  Before the buzzer sounds, lets watch the Mayhem Poets perform an audition for an NBA slam dunk contest commercial:


 Enjoy the Mayhem and the Madness, Poetry Paraders!

No comments:

Post a Comment