Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Toes in Our Noses!

There is a time and a place for everything, Poetry Paraders.  Welcome to National Goof Off Day! We certainly don't want you to get in trouble at home, work, or school.  But now is the time and here is the place: today, you have permission to do something... a little bit goofy.  Wear one green striped sock and one pink polka-dot sock.  Skip in circles, wave your arms, and act slightly goofy-- for thirty seconds-- on the playground.  Write a goofy limerick.  Recite a goofy poem.  Mix your peas with your potatoes at dinner and gobble them all up. Read a goofy book.  Sing a goofy song. When you're doing your homework, strike up a brief and goofy conversation with your pencil.  Brush your teeth with one eye closed. Poetry on Parade celebrates National Goof Off Day with two poems by two different poets... with the same goofy title:

Toes in My Nose

I stuck my toes
In my nose
And I couldn't get them out.
It looked a little strange
And people began to shout,
"Why would you ever?
My goodness-- I never!"
They got in a terrible snit.
It's simple, I said
As they put me to bed,
I just wanted to see 
If they fit.

--Sheree Fitch 

Toes in My Nose

 I bet that I could do it
My friends all said, "No way."
And now my toes are in my nose,
so they will have to pay.
They each owe me a dollar--
of that there is no doubt.
There's just one little problem.
I cannot get them out.

--Bruce Lansky

Toes in our noses?  Toes in our noses! Poetry on Parade in no way endorses such goofy behavior.  However, on this very goofy day, we think it's interesting that at least two poets... imagined it!

No comments:

Post a Comment